Transitions are not Always as Planned

Well…we sold the Annapolis, MD, property and boat slip in Nov 2011, and we sold the DC property in late Dec 2011, and we rented an Annapolis neighbors Back Creek boat slip for Harmony. The majority of our worldly possessions were now in storage, and through Feb 2012 we rented back our former basement apartment while we somewhat reorganized most of our paperwork and financial lives, and by March 3 we had our remaining possessions in a U-Haul truck and, along with our Toyota pick-up, we drove these few possessions to Knoxville, TN, where my wonderful son, Tony, and his gracious wife, Lindsay, welcomed us and our possessions into their home while we looked for a new home.

Initially we had hoped to do a land tour of family and friends until mid-May, then launch our sailing vessel, Harmony, into the Chesapeake Bay at Rock Hall, MD. We had planned to sail through the Delaware Bay and into the Atlantic ocean where we would head North along the East coast of the USA, and in the Fall we sail South to Lake Worth, Florida, and we then hoped to be in the Bahamas sometime in February 2013. We wanted Harmony to be our home for the next couple of years as we began this new chapter in our lives. Wish us safe journeys with a fair wind and a starry sky. But the universe had a different plan for us.

My son, Tony, had purchased a custom home-building business from his wife’s stepdad before the economic downturn took it’s toll on the industry and, subsequently, his livelihood. Upon our arrival he still had two properties, one of which was completed and thankfully had a buyer (al beit at no or little profit), and the other was an older home in a great school district that he had hoped to remodel for his young family. Upon our arrival, a new plan was hatched. Lindsay was working and searching for a better job, hopefully one with great benefits. I would babysit, Kai, our grandson, while Ken, Tony, and his father-in-law, remodeled the remaining older home and they would sell it instead of move into. As with many homeowners, the beautiful home they had custom built and were living in during a booming economy, could not be sold for what it cost them to build it. Subsequently, the remodel project of the remaining older home was a success and sold in short order and they made a small profit. Whew!

Meantime, staying in Knoxville for the summer instead of sailing north as we had originally planned, gave us a great opportunity to get to connect to and love Lindsay, Kai, and Tony in a much deeper way. A reminder that life is not always what you plan. Ultimately we all benefitted in unexpected ways, and in the end we decided to buy a house in Knoxville.

We FINALLY went sailing in mid-Oct, and it was a mad dash south from Rock Hall near Baltimore, MD, to get us and our boat launched and South down the Chesapeake Bay in an effort to outrun the rapidly arriving Hurricane Sandy at a time when it was uncertain where she would hit land. But that is a story for a future post.

About 4knots

Old sailor, new adventures. Lived in Washington, DC and area from Spring 1966 to Spring 2012 when I moved to Knoxville, TN. I began sailing in 1992 as mental therapy after the death of my beloved husband, Tomas, in 1991. I had become a workaholic, and sailing breezes gave me new life. I became an avid sailor, racer (including frostbite races), and a sailing instructor in Annapolis, MD, and in DC. I helped begin a community sailing program in DC as well as Baltimore, and taught underprivileged DC children to sail. I met my current husband, Ken, at a mutual friend's island home in the Chesapeake Bay. I was writing a poem while watching a storm role in as I sat on a bluff overlooking the Bay. He stopped by and we chatted for a bit. Later in the evening I was watching people dance and he commented that we were the only ones not dancing, so we danced one tune, but he was not a dancer. Later that night my friends wanted to row around the anchorage and say hello and go aboard to see other boats and continue the party...the boater's excuse to say. "my boat is better/bigger than your boat". One of our boardings was "Anisette", a Pearson 30' owned by Ken and his friends. A few weeks later we met again at a ski club summer event, a boat raft-up, and Ken became a pest that night and annoyed me to no end. He later sought me out and apologized, and invited me to go sailing as part of the apology. His boat partners were along and we had a lot of fun, even though it was too hot to be sailing.' Ken volunteered to crew for my race boat...afterwards I told him I did not need him as crew--he knew how to sail, but he did not know how to race, and I was use to winning. Our paths kept crossing, and at some point he showed up as a sailing instructor where I was teaching. My son was in college so I decided to advertise his room for rent, and Ken applied, and because I already knew him I accepted, but 2 or 3 months later he move out because his girlfriend, someone he worked with, wanted him to have his own place. Meantime, my son was coming and going, and I would meet interesting sailors who who were coming to Annapolis to learn to sail, as well as aduring the boat show weeks. Ken and his girlfriend broke up and he wanted to know if he could move back in and keep his boat at my dock. It was literally years later I learned he had been passing me off as his girlfriend before I was...and that finally explained a few odd comments from his boat partners and others that made no sense to me at the time. Well, in the end, everything happens for a reason. We eventually sailed aboard our Caliber 35, Harmony, on the Chesapeake and Delaware bays as well as up and down the east coast. We sailed through NY where we saw a sea plane flip over as it was trying to land at the Wall Street sea plane landing, where it floated belly up. We saw the pilot climb out. A barge with a big crane arrived and a diver attached a chain to the tail of the plane. The plane was hoisted out of the water, but before it could be swung onto the barge, the chain snapped and the small plane nosedived deep into the dark, murky water. At that point we moved on to where we anchored for the night: behind Pauper's Island. And the events of that 3-night anchorage is another story worth telling. We also sailed aboard a 44' cutter through the Caribbean from Puerto Rico to Columbia and explored the many islands in between. Ken proposed in Puerto Rico and, acting against my inner voice, we were married in St. Vincent in 2005.
This entry was posted in Land locked and tagged , , , , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s