Landlocked on the Tennessee River

It has been an ultra busy few months since we sold our house in DC and our condo in Annapolis. We stayed with my son and his family for a couple of months, which was a bit tough on them, but everyone coped very well, and it was an amazing opportunity to finally really get to know my youngest grandson and to reconnent with my son, Tony, and his wife, Lindsay. We bought a house with a $M view overlooking the TN River and have been renovating it since mid-May. It has been way more of a project than what we anticipated, but we hope it will be worth the effort when finished. Currently the house, built in the early to mid-70’s, is a bit like camping except with air conditioning and limited indoor plumbing.
We plan to join the local yacht club, but have failed miserably at making anything fun a high priority–although we did host a 4th of July celebration at out new house, complete with home made MD crab cakes…yummy! And we had an amazing vantage point from the pool, which overlooks downtown–and our view of the fireworks was great! And we have some great neighbors, some of whom are sailors, and we join them one evening a week for a cocktails. We hope to have more fun before beginning our extended cruise.
We will visit Ken’s Aunt Sis and family this coming Sunday. They live in Georgetown, KY, which is about 3 hours from us. At some point soon we will return to our boat and our Chesapeake-area friends and family. And we plan to visit PA family at some point, and we will be bringing one of my best friends, Joanna, for a brief visit, and I hope our house is at least mostly finished by then and that we are mostly, finally, unpacked. Seems all our plans are centered around the multitude of house and boat projects, and it is challenging to schedule visits with friends and family! But we may decide to delay some of the projects, as I am reminded that life is short, and it is 5 o’clock somewhere. So “Skoal” for now!

About 4knots

Old sailor, new adventures. Lived in Washington, DC and area from Spring 1966 to Spring 2012 when I moved to Knoxville, TN. I began sailing in 1992 as mental therapy after the death of my beloved husband, Tomas, in 1991. I had become a workaholic, and sailing breezes gave me new life. I became an avid sailor, racer (including frostbite races), and a sailing instructor in Annapolis, MD, and in DC. I helped begin a community sailing program in DC as well as Baltimore, and taught underprivileged DC children to sail. I met my current husband, Ken, at a mutual friend's island home in the Chesapeake Bay. I was writing a poem while watching a storm role in as I sat on a bluff overlooking the Bay. He stopped by and we chatted for a bit. Later in the evening I was watching people dance and he commented that we were the only ones not dancing, so we danced one tune, but he was not a dancer. Later that night my friends wanted to row around the anchorage and say hello and go aboard to see other boats and continue the party...the boater's excuse to say. "my boat is better/bigger than your boat". One of our boardings was "Anisette", a Pearson 30' owned by Ken and his friends. A few weeks later we met again at a ski club summer event, a boat raft-up, and Ken became a pest that night and annoyed me to no end. He later sought me out and apologized, and invited me to go sailing as part of the apology. His boat partners were along and we had a lot of fun, even though it was too hot to be sailing.' Ken volunteered to crew for my race boat...afterwards I told him I did not need him as crew--he knew how to sail, but he did not know how to race, and I was use to winning. Our paths kept crossing, and at some point he showed up as a sailing instructor where I was teaching. My son was in college so I decided to advertise his room for rent, and Ken applied, and because I already knew him I accepted, but 2 or 3 months later he move out because his girlfriend, someone he worked with, wanted him to have his own place. Meantime, my son was coming and going, and I would meet interesting sailors who who were coming to Annapolis to learn to sail, as well as aduring the boat show weeks. Ken and his girlfriend broke up and he wanted to know if he could move back in and keep his boat at my dock. It was literally years later I learned he had been passing me off as his girlfriend before I was...and that finally explained a few odd comments from his boat partners and others that made no sense to me at the time. Well, in the end, everything happens for a reason. We eventually sailed aboard our Caliber 35, Harmony, on the Chesapeake and Delaware bays as well as up and down the east coast. We sailed through NY where we saw a sea plane flip over as it was trying to land at the Wall Street sea plane landing, where it floated belly up. We saw the pilot climb out. A barge with a big crane arrived and a diver attached a chain to the tail of the plane. The plane was hoisted out of the water, but before it could be swung onto the barge, the chain snapped and the small plane nosedived deep into the dark, murky water. At that point we moved on to where we anchored for the night: behind Pauper's Island. And the events of that 3-night anchorage is another story worth telling. We also sailed aboard a 44' cutter through the Caribbean from Puerto Rico to Columbia and explored the many islands in between. Ken proposed in Puerto Rico and, acting against my inner voice, we were married in St. Vincent in 2005.
This entry was posted in Uncategorized and tagged , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s